Some things change

4.5 Mae West
Spring 1996, Café Hare and Hedgehog

The café Mae decided to visit this sunny spring morning on her walk to the old town was cramped full with perhaps all of Windenburg getting their morning coffee before going to their work offices. 
Maybe she shouldn't have gone at this hour yet, but she woke up early and got bored in the house. 
It took a while until she finally received her caffé latte.

But the terrace was empty, even though the sun shone warm already.
Mae took a moment to appreciate the view she had here on to the sea. It was so peacful today.

She took out the book she started reading last night. It was one of the few fiction books, and probably the only romance novel she found in Linda's otherwise well sorted library. Well, "Pride and Prejudice" was a classic, and she believed to remember that it belonged to the literature class' reading matters when they were still in high school.
Maybe that's why Linda owned it.


A sudden noise of dish clutter, stumbling and something like a curse made her look up. The man kneeling next to her froze when he saw her.
"Hi there", Mae said, with a smile.
He still didn't move.

"Don't you want to get up?", she continued. The man let out an uncomfortable small laugh and brushed off his pants while slowly standing up.
"Come join me", she offered friendly. "I'm Mae, by the way."

"Uhm, my name is Herbert", he finally said while sitting next to her.

"This was a bit embarrassing", he added, with another nervous laugh.
"Hey, I had fun at least!", Mae said, trying to ease him up a little.
"I just came back to Windenburg a few months ago", she continued, "and it doesn't look like anything changed here. And I was gone for over a year since my last visit."

"Not really. Things usually stay the same here", he said, looking like he finally got his composure back.
"How long have you lived here?", Mae asked him.
"I don't live here.. I'm just here with the Oasis Springs Junior High Basketball Team for a competition. I'm from Oasis Springs." 
"Uhm...", he just seemed to realize that his last sencence was kinda obvious.

Mae laughed. He looked even more confused now.
She found him hilarious. 
"So you're a teacher?", she asked, curious to know more about him.
"N-no, just the coach..." he replied shyly.

"Uhm... may I ask where you have been before?", he asked, and added after a small break, "...before coming back to Windenburg"
"You may. I was in Paris, learning how to become a chef."

"Oh, great! I bet you make awesome food!", he said, maybe with a little bit too much excitement.
"Of course!", Mae said, laughing.
She decided she liked Herbert.

19 comments:

  1. A coach that wants to become a chef? How unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ops, sorry if it's not clear. He's not a chef, Mae is!

      Delete
  2. Mae looked like she meet a charming guy. It doesn't seem like there are too many of them in this town. She might have a snag this one up. Well hopefully he is a good guy. We don't know too much about him yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. /squints
    In my heart I'm hoping it's AlejamdAl in disguise
    (Congrats tho Mae ;) he cute!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok you serious, I see xD
      Or maybe you just miss Al? :D

      Delete
  4. Hmmm...she just pick up any ol body? But he’s cute...so there’s that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's very social, so she talks to everyone haha.

      Delete
  5. Herbert is adorable. Love the plaid and beard. Junior high? *smirks* Lol. He has a classic manly look about him. I like him too, Mae, I like him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classic manly like to be expected from a junior high school trainer :D

      Delete
    2. Love it. *Lizzie eats it up!*

      Delete
  6. I just now realized her name is Mae West. Skipped by me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eheheehe and I gave her the name just bc it popped into my head when I saw her!

      Delete
  7. I rofled when she said no worries I had fun. I just had to add in my head. "Fun at your expense, Mister." 😎

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol cute. Though I don't know if he's exciting enough for Mae. I think I'd prefer him for Linda. Then again, we barely know him yet, so I'll withold judgment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Linda needs a "not exciting" guy? 😄 He may have his good sides, though

      Delete
  9. I only just realized that her name is Mae West XD how funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I have no idea how I got to name her like that... but it is what it is 😆

      Delete