Good times

11.5 Mae West
Spring 1997, West residence

"Good morning! Did you sleep well?", Linda greeted her sister, when Mae entered the sunroom. She had still her reading glasses on, but it looked as if she had finished the science magazine she had subscribed to.
"Sure!", Mae replied cheerfully.
She filled her plate with one of the pancakes Linda had made.

"Say... did you meet someone?", Mae burst out, watching her sister's face carefully.
She noticed Linda was even more absent minded than usually. And she often had that dreamy look.
"Huh?", Linda seemed confused.
"Don't "huh?" me! Tell me about him!", Mae demanded, smiling.

"Uhm...", Linda seemed to think. "Well, I am not sure if it is anything serious yet..."
"Who cares?", Mae became impatient. "Just tell me who it is!"

Linda laughed. "I met a man two weeks ago at work, he was buying our plants. He called me the next day, and we went out for dinner. And then, once more."


"Why you tell me that only now?", Mae couldn't believe it.

"Well, you were gone most of the time!", Linda scolded her, but smiling.
Linda was right. Mae had been quite busy with working at the bar, her own dates, and now even with her boyfriend's daughter. She even hadn't managed to go to their friend's wedding, because all the business had struck her down with a nasty cold.

"But seriously... he's the most handsome guy I've ever seen!", Linda continued then. "Also, he's super nice, charming, and a real gentleman..."
Mae listened amused to her enthusiastic chatter.
Mae then decided to at least try having breakfast together every morning with Linda again. She didn't want to miss out more of her sister's life.
And the delicious pancakes Linda made.


Suddenly the door bell rang.
"I'll get it", Linda said. She had finished breakfast.

Mae heard some voices, and went to the door herself, curious who visited.
She saw an unknown man and woman in their living room.
Linda was trying to excuse herself to be still in a bathrobe.
Mae chuckled. Her sister had only realized it now.


"Hi there", Mae said to them.
"This is my sister Mae", Linda introduced her.


"These are Madeleine and Jesse Sanford, our new neighbours", Linda continued, "they are throwing a party tonight to get to know everyone."


"Of course you're invited too!", Madeleine said with a melodic voice.
They looked boring, the typical middle-class suburbian couple. Probably they would play classic music and serve home made lemonade and punch.
"Sweet!", Mae lied. "But sorry, I have to pass... I have plans already I cannot cancel."
She preferred to go to the cinema with Mariella tonight.

15 comments:

  1. Another redhead? I hope I won't confuse her with these two. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mae is doing a lot of babysitting for Herbert's daughter. Its almost as if he is looking more for a mother for his child than a partner for life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn people, you came knocking too early!
    I bet they're into some kinky stuff; it's always the tidy looking ones >:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First thing that crosses your mind, ofc xD

      Delete
    2. It's your fault for saying they're boring, kekekeke

      Delete
    3. Mae said that! But she wasn't exposed to LotL yet xD

      Delete
  4. oo... new neighbors. What juicy gossip will arise? I'm glad Mae is bonding with Mariella. Their breakfast looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. She is! I'm a little sad I didn't have more space for her. But my cast is big enough, eh 😏

      Delete
  6. Mae continues to be in a relationship with Herbert's child. Oh Mae...

    Hm, new neighbours, eh? Wonder what their deal is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it is clear that she loves the kid... 😬

      Delete