Cracks

19.7 Linda West
Spring 1998, The Scarlet Rose

When Linda entered, she found the restaurant her boyfriend had invited her for their first anniversary even more fancy than it had looked from outside.
"This place looks gorgeous!", she said to Brian.

"Not even half as gorgeous as you, darling!", he replied smiling, while arranging her chair for her.
"Thank you, Brian!", Linda said.
Slowly she had become used to get so many compliments from him.

The waiter arrived to bring the wine card. He was so quiet, Linda barely noticed him approaching.
"I hope you don't mind that I preordered a menue for us already?", Brian asked her. "Like this we wouldn't be bothered."
"It's fine!"
Linda didn't mind, as long as it wouldn't be anything weird.
She let Brian chose the wine, too.

When their food arrived, Linda noticed it actually looked weird. But not in a bad way. And she was in such a good mood because she could finally see Brian again after his two-week business trip, that she even was willing to give it a try.
"This looks really great!", she smiled.
"Only the best is good enough to celebrate our first anniversary", her boyfriend smiled back at her.
So many things had happened since she had met him. Her sister got married, her best friend had a baby, and she had finished her dissertation.
And in all between, she had dated Brian.
Linda sighed. "The time really passed fast..."

"And it was wonderful. You are wonderful, Linda!", Brian said to her.
She felt a warmth coming up her cheeks and had to chuckle.
Not only had she got used to his compliments, but slowly she even felt flattered.
Like compliments should make you feel.

"I mean it", Brian insisted. "I cannot imagine anyone else to be by my side anymore."
"Brian - "
Linda felt touched, but also a bit nervous.

"And therefore I would like to ask you – Linda West, would you do me the honour and be my wife?"
"Oh... oh my god..." Linda stuttered.
She hadn't been prepared for this.
At all.
"Linda?"

"Yes...", she finally managed to say. "Yes, I would like to!"
She would be able look at his beautiful face every morning! Wouldn't that be just so perfect?

Now Brian sighed. "I almost thought you would reject me! But now you make me the happiest man in the world! It will be so nice coming home after work to my sweet little wife and a home cooked meal!"
Linda had to chuckle.
"Except that I normally work longer than you", she said then.
He would rather have to wait for it.

Brian seemed confused for a second. "Why would you keep working?"
Linda didn't understand why she should quit.
"Huh? I like my job...", she said, confused.

Brian smiled and gave her a teasing look. "I guess you'll think differently after our first baby is born!"
"What, baby??"
Oh crap. Linda had forgotten that marriage usually involved babies sooner or later. Which meant she would have to quit. No chance getting meaningful results in the lab while taking care of a baby.
"Of course!", Brian said. "Our children will be wonderful!"

"I think I prefer my research...", she said insecurely.
"Oh - don't be so unreasonable!" Brian even laughed now. "What would you even want with all that sciency stuff?"

Linda started to feel her blood pulsing. "Unreason- ", she started, but Brian hadn't finished.
"You're a woman, after all!", he said, smiling his I-know-it-better-than-you-anyway-smile.
Linda had seen it so often.
And she was so angry of herself that she only realized its meaning now.

"I'm not gonna marry you to be your housekeeper and babysitter!", she said, with all the composure she could pull up now.

She hadn't the nerves to stay any longer. So she got up to leave.
"Linda!", she heard him calling her behind her.

She remembered something, and turned back.
"And I like my cat shoes!", she spat at him.
Then she left for good.

20 comments:

  1. Is he British? Whenever he says "darling" I hear him say it with British accent in my head.
    Anyhow, it doesn't matter anymore, I guess. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Might be. I rather thought about some 80s soap operas while planning on how he speaks XD
      He might return btw. Not sure yet xD

      Delete
  2. This is why I was suspicious, pretty boy just showed his true colors. Someone needs to tell him this is not the 50's and his wife doesn't have to be exactly like Donna Reed. He knew Linda was a career woman when he met her and if he really loved her, he would accept the person she is. At first I thought she was going on the same path as her sister by appeasing him but then she got the courage to leave. Bravo to Linda.

    Quick someone call Frank, get him over there ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He simply doesn't understand that there are different women than the mother and housewife type. And since Linda usually is quiet and friendly, he thought he found himself the perfect one... only to find out he didn't.
      Linda luckily was never as attached to Brian as Mae is to Herbert. She only found out now, though.

      I like your comment about Frank :D

      Delete
  3. Go Linda! Now where’s Frank? Flinda 4ever

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's for the better. He was not for you, Linda. She looked so sassy walking away from him, and I love how she came back and said she loved her cat shoes. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They finally managed to have a conversation where Linda really listened to him! The charm of the beautiful face faded, haha.

      Delete
  5. ...not to mention that in most labs, you aren't even allowed to enter since the chemicals could harm the unborn fetus!
    Whoa. How to ruin a year of relationship in one night. I can't believe Linda found out only now that Brian believes all her science passion a waste. But- she did the right thing immediately! She's getting better and better at separation stuff with each boyfriend that passes lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. She sure made her experinces! :D
    Best would be, she wouldn't even start relationships with idiots, but she's kinda too busy with herself and science to really try and get to know a person...

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! FUCK YES! OMG! say NO to the 'I'm-better-than-you' smile! OMG! I am so fucking happy right now!!!! And to think, other than the whole Frank thing, Linda was kind of becoming yawn-ish for me. NOT NO MO! XD She just skyrocketed to my favorite.
    YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda is often passive and prefers unexcitement, but you better never mess with her vocation xDD

      Delete
  8. OH my goodness! He was too good to be true! Now the fangs have revealed themselves. Ahh Brian Brian. You want a trophy wife, not Linda. You have to pick someone like.. uh... I think Rosa fits the description of a trophy wife. Linda actually wants to make a difference in her field. And whats with his backwards attitude towards women. This guy needs to meet Nancy Landgraab or Lily Feng.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha! He'd probably despise them because they are more successful than him! 😂😂
      Funny that you call Rosa the "trophy wife" because that was absolutely the image in my mind when I made her (over)!😄

      Delete
  9. 😆 oof... I'm glad to have guessed correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh lord.

    Right. Thoughts.

    Once again, the sisters show how similar they are. Here she just says yes without giving it a second thought, only finally coming to her senses when he broadcasts his intentions. But if she had just been paying attention, the signs have always been there. I mean:

    "I hope you don't mind that I preordered a menue for us already?" Perfect analogy for his entire attitude to her. Not botheeing to get to know her, ordering that perfect prepackaged life that is expected of him as the heir of the family fortune.

    The sad thing is it takes something so major like him talking about kids and being a housewife for her to realise that they actually don't know each other at all and are completely incompatible, Because really, even if he was happy to go as is, have her continue her research and so forth, their relationship is so superficial, and she was just going to go on and spend her life like that.

    These West women, seriously :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both Linda and Mae just follow what's generally considered normal for young woman without giving it much of a second thought. Meet someone suitable, date, get married, have a family. The ultimate recipe to have a happy, successful life. Only when they are forced to face the implications that go completely against their own comfort zone, they start to question if it is really what they want.
    Luckily Linda woke up a little earlier, but she's also more honest with herself- even if she doesn't share it with others.

    ""I hope you don't mind that I preordered a menue for us already?" Perfect analogy for his entire attitude to her." -> This. Absolutely. And so far it was very comfortable for Linda, why make semi-interesting decisions if someone else does them for you? She rather thinks about alien plants than restaurant menues XD

    She'd totally just continued this kind of life, because she was content with it. She had a boyfriend (this time a respectable one xD) that she did not have to invest too much, but her needs were fulfilled xD

    ReplyDelete